Monday 11th to Sunday 17th October 2010.

This won’t take you long, V said, nothing much has happened this week.
I can always fill it up with “I got up, showered and brushed my teeth”.
There I’ve said it, I’ve always wanted to say that on the blog.

Monday is generally a moving day so we upped sticks from Zouch and cruised the very pleasant and well behaved River Soar to Loughborough, to the Albion Inn to be exact. Immediately befriended by two cats from the kennels and assaulted by the afternoon scholarly foot traffic we began adjusting to town life.

Tuesday took us the few hundred yards to the boat basin with its city sounds at full volume.
More scholars taking the short-cut under the student accommodation made the afternoon and evening interesting with their shouts and it helped to soften the screams of sirens and American truck horns that have started appearing on ambulances.
We had proper food for dinner, Claire and Ter came round for a meal and brought the pudding, a Dutch apple pie. This was our Mum’s speciality, going back at least fifty years, and it didn’t half bring back some lovely memories.

We have more visitors.
Claire brought her grand-twins to the boat, and I didn’t mind holding George now that he’s not so bendy. Almost one year old, they are starting to look like little people and even I can see a likeness to one or the other’s family.
the twins

My mate Graham called at the boat, about the same time, carrying a load of electrical test equipment.
He’s a good lad, he’s taken pity on me after I described my problems with the boat’s inverter.

Within minutes we understood the extent of the radio frequency noise created and radiated by the Mastervolt inverter. From 1Mhz to 7Mhz solid and popping up here and there all the way up the HF band we have RF noise that completely wrecks any chance of working HAM radio.

But there is a plan, I’ve got to nobble every wire in the cupboard with RFI supppressors. This isn’t going to happen overnight (I can just hear V now, “If it’s anything like his other jobs it won’t happen at all”).

Lovely though the boat basin is we can’t hang around. Signs say clear-off after 24 hours so we sloped off towards the country, stopping at B&Q on the way. Our 12 volt cordless drill has given up the ghost, duff batteries I’m afraid. So rather than pay £20 for a new set of Nicads I bought a new drill for under £10.
We pulled over before Pillings Marina and lit the fire for the evening. Just as it was getting dark I saw a shadow in the bushes and went out to have a look.
It’s a photographer, I knew that because he had one of those all-singing, all-dancing camera things and was popping away at everything including the bow button and the chimney.

What are you going to do with those, I asked. Publish them on the Deviant Art website, he said.
I looked but couldn’t find them. Was he pulling my leg?

I’m staying in all day and so is the fire. No wood in these parts so we’re doing fossil fuels, and why not.

You can’t see too many museums I always say. Mr Ter collected me this morning, after I raved about Newark’s Air Museum, and together we toured the exhibits and sampled the canteen’s slabs of fruit cake.
Ter did his time on the Victor so he was reasonably interested in the Vulcan.

I did my time on the water so I was interested in “Upkeep”, the bouncing bomb, as dropped by Lancaster bombers against German dams.

I hadn’t realised until recently that there was a smaller version of the bouncing bomb called “Highball” which was designed to be ‘launched’ against German ships by the Mosquito. Not a lot of people know that.

I spotted this rather tidy engine that might be just the ticket for Balmaha once the BetaMarine engine bites the dust. It will be goodbye to 43HP and hello to 1000HP, just the thing for showing those plastic boats a thing or two on the rivers.
new engine

This exhibit was my favourite, I’m putting my name on it for our next narrowboat.

Saturday – Sunday
Don’t let the sunshine fool you, rain showers are on us the moment our backs are turned.

The hawthorn hedges are doing a nice job of camouflaging the boat by plastering us with their leaves. I was daft enough to brush them off on Friday and by the morning we were covered again.

Taming the local moorhen has taken two days. She ran for the bushes the first time we threw food but now she’s standing on the gunwale and staring in the window asking to be fed. I wouldn’t mind but she’s insisting on being fed every hour.
She could be a he, I’ve no idea what gender it is, how does one tell?

The tele’s weather forecast for the week ahead is summed up as “Not too bad”.

Dan reckons we shall have sunshine on and off all week which is great because we have family coming and a river cruise would be perfect, so behave yourself River Soar.